How to check PDM event is triggered from Solidworks PDM addin or Windows explorer?

I have a PDM add-in that does extensive renaming and moving of files in the PDM vault. The add-in can be triggered from inside SOLIDWORKS or from Explorer.

I need to check any event like state change/rename…etc are triggered from Solidworks PDM addin or Windows explorer.

Just off the top of my head, without testing, I would take a look at the poCmd.mlParentWnd to see if that can be tied to your explorer window handle or your SW session window handle. If you get a chance to look into this before I do, let us know how that works out.

Edit:
In a quick search, this following code could be added to get the process ID from a window handle.

[DllImport("user32.dll", SetLastError=true)]
static extern uint GetWindowThreadProcessId(IntPtr hWnd, out uint processId);

Then use something like this to check the name

Process.GetProcessById(id).ProcessName

Edit 2:

This approach works

Using Explorer to Hook ChangeState:

Using Solidworks PDM Add-In to Hook ChangeState:
2022-02-17 10_12_23-Window

Not sure why it’s showing Idle process but that’s where I ended up.
Also tested within the File → Open dialog of Solidworks and the process name was “SLDWORKS”.

2 Likes

@Prasad290 : I understand your question now!

One line:

System.Diagnostics.Process.GetCurrentProcess().Name

Name is explorer.exe or sldworks.exe depending on where the add-in is loaded.

2 Likes

Thanks @AmenJlili and @BigCrazyAl

Actually I already tried these two ways, But just I want to know is there any API will give you the quick answer to do.

1 Like

API is not supposed to tell which process it’s loaded on. That’s what System.Diagnostics is for.

1 Like